Friday, July 18, 2008

Let It Be

What is it about some people that makes them feel like they must be part of every situation, no matter how far removed they are from it? They carry on conversations and the glaring subtext always remains, "I'll get to the bottom of this because I have a vast network of sources that trust me and tell me things in confidence which I will reveal to a select few, if and only if I deem them worthy or they know the secret handshake."

What drives someone to take information revealed in conversation (aka - gossip, if we're being honest) and call that person to confirm if said information was true or not? Really? Seriously?? You had to call that person? Is it any of your business? What exactly were you hoping to accomplish? Did this person benefit from your "expertise" on the subject? OR did you just stir up additional controversy?

Growing up, I was taught, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I think my generation interpreted that as, "If you can't say something nice, make sure to say it to someone who knows enough not to repeat it to the person being talked about and who will likely not use your name as the source of that comment." A pretty sketchy premise to operate under. A rule of thumb that more often than not ends in broken trust, severed friendships, and disappointment that "the rules" backfired.

I didn't think I would have to continue learning these lessons as an adult, but as luck would have it, here I am again learning the value and scarcity of trustworthy friends. In a world where most people are busy living, parenting, working, striving, there are still some who take a mere mention and ignite a firestorm of controversy just to satisfy their unquenchable desire to be right in the big middle of things - whether they belong or not.

It is taking everything within me not to lash back at this person, or to go to others involved and explain how what I said was taken completely out of context and then added to utter fabrication, but I feel led to stay out of it and just let it be. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

McSus said...

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will make straight your paths" - does not end in a question mark for these very reasons. And these learning experiences are very reason that I am so proud to call you not only daughter, but friend. How many moms can say that! God is still in his heaven and nothing we do can take Him by surprise. I love you and always will . . .